02 January 2010

Tradition

I love tradition. I don't remember having many traditions growing up, but I always longed for them. One that we did have, and that I cherished, was Mom's German Apple Pancake on Christmas. I don't know if it had anything at all to do with my (German) grandmother, but it always made me feel like I was connected to her and something older than myself. My mom loved to make it, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy when she would warm the maple syrup and drizzle it smoothly over the wedge of eggy sweetness on my plate.

Around Christmas of 2008 I came across a recipe for cranberry-orange scones and decided to give it a try. I told my dad about it, who told me that his mom, my grandmother of English/Irish descent, loved scones. When I brought some to her I found out that my mom used to make scones for her. So, on top of how moist and delicious these scones were, all of these connections made me love them even more. When Christmas came again in 2009, I found myself searching out the recipe once again. Looks like the start of my own tradition.

Christmas Scones
adapted from Mr. Breakfasts's Christmas Cranberry Scones at MrBreakfast.com

2 and 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons additional sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup dried cranberries -- chopped
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/2 cup skimmed buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder, and baking soda.

Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries; stir to combine.

Add buttermilk, fresh orange juice, and vanilla to flour mixture and stir to combine (mixture will be dry).

Form dough into 2 equal balls.


Preheat oven to 400 F. On floured work surface work half of the dough into a 6-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut circle into 6 equal wedges; place wedges on nonstick baking sheet, leaving a 1" space between each one. Repeat procedure, using remaining dough. *Note: If you want a nicely browned top, brush each scone with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove scones to wire rack and let cool.



Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. As I get older, I find I like tradition a lot, but don't necessarily feel that I always have to stick to it. Happy that you are finding you like it as a young woman and can incorporate it into your lifestyle. The scones look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete

Tree Bird


Thank God eating and drinking are not only a necessity, but a pleasure!

Menu

Followers